Not only did a champion regain her WBC strap, but also became the oldest woman to win a world title and gain the fan’s honor of becoming the #WomenofBoxing Boxer of the Month #BotM for October.
Alicia “Slick” Ashley goes into the record books, but that may not be the ultimate entry. Ashley (23-10-1, 4 KOs) does not seem to be slowing down.
At 48 years of age, the Jamaican-born southpaw pounded on the previously undefeated Christina McMahon (7-1, 3 KOs) for the vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) Super Bantamweight Championship.
Stamina, persistent jabs, “slick”ness, and precision on the counterattacks set Ashley above McMahon on October 29th.
With the Unanimous Decision win over the 41 year old McMahon, “Slick” Ashley regains the title she lost in September of 2014 to Jackie Nava.
With her stellar fitness and dedication to her craft, Ashley will probably be around for some time yet.
Congrats to the Champ!
Who is theRingside.BIZ Network #WomenofBoxing Boxer of the Month for October 2015?
- Eun Hye Lee (0%, 0 Votes)
- Susi Kentikian (2%, 8 Votes)
- Maiva Hamadouche (8%, 37 Votes)
- Melissa Hernandez (5%, 24 Votes)
- Liliana Palmera (1%, 3 Votes)
- Mayerlin Rivas (27%, 127 Votes)
- Yohana Belen Alfonso (0%, 0 Votes)
- Aniya Seki (1%, 3 Votes)
- Hanna Gabriel (7%, 32 Votes)
- Momo Koseki (0%, 1 Votes)
- Carla Torres (9%, 45 Votes)
- Alicia Ashley (41%, 197 Votes)
Total Voters: 477
Thanks to all the fans who voted. Make sure you do not miss out on the voting next month.
Picture from Ashley’s Instagram